Our Health Library information does not replace the advice of a doctor. Please be advised that this information is made available to assist our patients to learn more about their health. Our providers may not see and/or treat all topics found herein.
Over-the-Counter Medicine Precautions
Know the benefits and side effects of a medicine before taking it. Use medicines only if nondrug approaches are not working.
Follow these over-the-counter medicine precautions.
- Carefully read and follow all directions on the medicine bottle and box. Or let your doctor know why you think you should take the medicine in a different way.
- Take the minimum effective dose. When using a liquid drug, use the measuring device that comes with the drug.
- Call your doctor if you think you are having a problem with your medicine. If you have been told to avoid a medicine, call your doctor before you take it.
- Do not take a medicine if you have had an allergic reaction to it in the past.
- If you are or could be pregnant, call your doctor before taking any medicine.
- Keep a list of all your medicines ( What is a PDF document? ), including over-the-counter medicines, vitamins, and supplements. And share the list with your doctor.
Here are some safety tips about giving children medicines:
- Do not give aspirin to anyone younger than 20 unless your doctor tells you to, because of the risk of Reye syndrome.
- Talk to your doctor before you give fever medicine to a baby who is 3 months of age or younger. This is to make sure a young baby's fever is not a sign of a serious illness. Ask your doctor what other medicines may not be safe to give your child.
- Don't take medicines in front of small children. Children are great mimics. Don't say that medicine tastes like candy.
- Keep medicines, vitamins, and supplements tightly capped in their original containers. Store them as directed and keep them out of the reach of children.
For more information, see Quick Tips: Giving Over-the-Counter Medicines to Children.
Current as ofDecember 13, 2018
Author: Healthwise Staff
Medical Review: E. Gregory Thompson MD - Internal Medicine
Adam Husney MD - Family Medicine
To learn more about Healthwise, visit Healthwise.org.
© 1995-2019 Healthwise, Incorporated. Healthwise, Healthwise for every health decision, and the Healthwise logo are trademarks of Healthwise, Incorporated.